Hornig Companies offers a comprehensive benefit package for full-time employees, a great working environment and upholds its core values of respect and integrity. In many cases, Hornig Companies can offer a great commute, allowing employees the freedom to live where they work!
Hornig Companies is an Equal Opportunity Employer and an Equal Housing Provider.
Apply to all positions by sending resume, cover letter and salary expectations to: Hornig Companies ([email protected])
Maintenance Director - Minneapolis, MN
The full-time Maintenance Director will lead the activities of building maintenance of over 4500 units in the Minneapolis/St. Paul metro area, greater MN and western WI.
- Oversee and provide expert advice regarding preventive maintenance, work orders and the mechanical systems of the portfolio
- Evaluate current procedures for cost and efficiency, making recommendations of best practices, improvements to processes and proper completion of maintenance functions
- Develop new systems, processes, policies and procedures using technology advancements to improve the efficiency of the maintenance department.
- Manage projects, following through and see through to completion
- Source new vendor partners, evaluate bids and maintain good ongoing partnerships with vendors
- Promote safety, ensure Maintenance staff are properly trained on safety policies and procedures as well as monitor compliance
- Ensure the work of the Maintenance Zone Leaders and Maintenance Technicians is completed to company standard
- Ensure excellent customer service is provided to residents, following up with escalated resident concerns and following Fair Housing guidelines
- Lead meetings and training initiatives
- Manage inventory processes
- Assist in leading capital improvement process
- Communicate effectively with ownership and other departments in meetings and via email
- Ensure all state, federal and local laws regarding repairs and building code are followed
Skills and Qualifications
Operations Support Administrator - Minneapolis, MN
- Mechanical & plumbing aptitude
- Multi-housing experience a plus
- Strong organizational skills
- Strong communication skills, both verbally and in writing
- Successful experience leading a staff
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team
- Proficient in MS Office and ability to learn technology quickly
- Ability to lift up to 30 pounds
- Valid Driver’s License and meet car insurance requirements
- Ability to stand, lift and bend for up to 4 hours (with breaks) in hot/cold and wet environments
Join Hornig Companies - a team of hard-working individuals who truly care about our residents and team members - winner of the Star Tribune’s Top Workplace’s award five years in a row!
Hornig Companies’ core values of integrity, honesty and respect aren’t just words written on paper, our ownership and employees live by these values every day. For over 60 years, this family-owned and operated residential property ownership and management company has provided individuals and families with homes, not just apartments.
The full-time Operations Support staff work with our Yardi, Rent Café and Smartsheet programs on a daily basis, support our Portfolio Managers, Maintenance team and on-site staff as well as communicate with applicants and residents regarding their questions and concerns in a caring, compassionate manner that upholds Hornig Companies customer service reputation and Fair Housing guidelines.
What are some of the things I would do?
- Support Portfolio Managers and maintenance teams in a variety of other property management administrative functions
- Provide communication and customer service to our residents
- Technical support for new initiatives
- Process rent increases
- Update website and support marketing initiatives
- Order and schedule deliveries for appliances, flooring and remodeling initiatives
- Process notices to vacate
- Assign and process rentable items
- Post employment positions, track PTO, track car insurance & driver’s license information as well as other Human Resources support functions
- Support Reputation Management initiatives
- Assist with managing our utility billing program
- Assist with Certificate of Rent Paid (CRP) processing
- Provide administrative assistance associated with new acquisitions
- Cross-train with our application desk.
- Back up phones
- Back up front desk
What does our current staff like about working here?
- Small business environment where family values are respected and at the forefront of operations
- Currently at over 4000 units, a growing, stable company continuing to use technology to advance processes while maintaining the small company feel.
- Culture of positivity
- Company-paid lunches & ongoing training
- Top Workplace winner 5 years in a row
- Full benefits package with paid time off and 401(k) match
What should I bring to the team?
- Strong technical and organizational skills required
- Able to lift 50 pounds occasionally, 25 pounds regularly
- Able to bend and reach regularly
- Able to meet and deal tactfully and courteously with employees, residents and vendors
- Able to speak, write and effectively communicate
- Have the ability to work independently as well as in a team environment
- 1 year multi-housing, hospitality or related experience required
- Yardi Voyager and Rent café experience preferred
Roving Maintenance Technician – Minneapolis/ St. Paul, MN
Roving Maintenance Technician to provide expertise and additional resources to Maintenance Technicians in our Minneapolis-St. Paul suburban portfolio. All of the buildings have dedicated Technicians that do the day to day work- this position will provide additional expertise and assistance for extra projects, inspections and preventive maintenance. The position is based out of Eden Prairie, but will report to different locations on a weekly basis. Mileage and cell phone allowance are paid with this position.
Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
· Diagnose and troubleshoot apartment maintenance issues which includes: replacement and installation of lighting, ceiling fans, blinds, mirrors, broken windows, sheetrock repair, closet doors, smoke detectors, caulking tubs or sinks and other similar repairs.
· General repairs to ensure each unit is up to company standards before inspections are completed and/or new residents move in
· Minor appliance repair as well as replacement of existing low risk electrical.
· Hands-on work of all building repairs, preventive maintenance and general upkeep of the projects
· Regularly address plumbing issues such as leaking faucets, toilets and other fixtures
· Maintain and repair plumbing throughout multiple properties
· Communicate with residents regarding repairs using excellent customer service
· Promote safety and be efficient in work practices
Job Type: Full-time
· Must have mechanical and plumbing aptitude
· Must be able to be trained on basic maintenance skills
· Must have Specials Boiler’s License and CPO, or the ability to receive certifications within 6 mos
· Ability to lift up to 50 pounds
· Must have a valid driver’s license and meet insurance requirements
· Must be able to work a 8-12 week rotating on-call schedule
· Have the ability to work independently
· Have the ability to stand, lift and bend for up to 8 hours (with breaks) in hot/cold and wet environments
· Have the ability to work in a team environment
· Multi-housing experience is a plus
Assistant Property Manager – Shadow Green Apartments, Minneapolis, MN
Hornig Companies seeks an Assistant Property Manager to join our team at Shadow Green Apartments and Purgatory Creek Townhomes.
Duties include, but are not limited to the following:
- Manage the marketing and leasing of the property
- Answer phones and greet incoming traffic in a friendly, professional manner
- Establish and maintain professional rapport with prospects and residents
- Provide outstanding customer service to residents and applicants
- Prepare accurate paperwork related to the move-in/move-out process
- Plan and implement resident events
- Maintain timely communication with staff and vendors
- Provide administrative support
- Assist the Property Manager with all operations of the community and facilitate the day-to-day operations of the two properties
Requirements: Minimum two year college degree or related experience, strong computer skills including MS Office and customer service experience. Yardi software experience and prior leasing experience is preferred. Ideal candidates will have outstanding customer service skills as well as excellent verbal and written communication skills. The regular work week for this position is Tuesday through Saturday but may vary based on business need.
Hornig Companies offers a competitive compensation and benefits package including medical, dental, life & disability insurance, paid time off, company paid holidays and a 401(k) match as well as other voluntary benefits.
Hornig Companies is an Equal Opportunity Employer and an Equal Housing Provider.
Job Type: Full-time
Part-Time Caretaker – various locations in the Minneapolis/ St. Paul metro area
Hornig Companies is seeking responsible, dedicated and enthusiastic individuals or teams to help manage our multiple rental properties in and around the Twin Cities Metro Area. Buildings can range in size from 10 to 40 apartments. This is generally a part time position and you can work around your own schedule. We offer competitive compensation generally in the form of a rent credit. Typically, living on site is necessary.
Caretaking responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
Showing and leasing available apartments
Maintaining the cleanliness of common areas
Apartment turnover cleaning
Seasonal grounds keeping
Acting as the eyes and ears of the property
Fair Housing, leasing and caretaker training will be provided. Custodial or janitorial experience is preferred but not required. When applying, please including a brief statement as to why this position is for you and any other information you feel may be beneficial.